Librarian week in the life, part 2

My first adventure into the Library Day in the Life project wraps up! Here’s how the rest of the week looked. (If you’re interested in Monday and Tuesday, my internship days, you can read about them in part 1.)


  • 6:30 am: I drag myself out of bed later than I’d intended. The morning is filled almost entirely with publishing work. Wednesdays are the day I have to be out of the house the earliest.
  • 9:00 am: Visual Communication class. It’s early in the term yet, so we’re discussing theory and clarifying what’s expected for the various assignments. I’m starting to think about the “create an exhibit” option instead of a paper for the final project. My idea at this stage is to tell the story of how a book is bound together by hand, from tools and loose materials to finished products. I’ll have to clear this with the professor, but if he agrees then it should be a fun project.
  • 11:50 am: Class gets out a few minutes early (which makes up for the fact that it ran late last week), and I take some time for lunch and blogging.
  • 12:30 pm: I start my work at Beatley Library, Simmons college, where I’m the Book Mending and Repair student worker. I take a look at what I started last week, send any completed books off to processing, and evaluate the incoming books. Items are filed according to the types of repairs they need. I work on a pair of rebackings and several recasings. I forget to take my 15 minute break, although it’s no great loss. My shift ends at 3:30 pm.
  • 4:15 pm: I’m home and am back to copyediting for a few hours.
  • 8:00 pm: My night is filled with homemade pizza (one of my favorite ways to pass an evening) and more research on the PageRank project, which I finish up. I then start on another assignment for that class—a technology tutorial (in my case, on Microsoft Word macros). I get a good amount of work done on this.
  • 11:30 pm: The day is done.


  • 7:00 am: A late start to the day, but this is the point in the week when things start to slow down a bit. I spend my morning on the usual, including the copyediting job. I even manage to start on my FAFSA application, which I realized I was supposed to have done yesterday (not the official deadline, but the school’s suggested deadline if you’re taking summer classes). I’d been waiting because I was still missing my most important W-2, but I dig the form out of the online interface and get started.
  • 10:30 am: I have a two-hour shift at the library today. Normally I try to do repairs in batches as much as possible, but I’ll be giving a demo soon, so I really need to be sure I know how long everything takes me. I time myself on some repairs.
  • 1:00 pm: I head straight to class (which starts at 1:00 pm) after work. What I eat during the <30 minute break couldn’t exactly be called a “lunch,” but it will do. Today’s class is Technology for Information Professionals, which unfortunately means that I know most of it already. The second half is in the computer lab, where we get some hands-on practice, so I work on our HTML/CSS/PHP assignment, slightly ahead of the rest of the class. (We’re learning about forms today, but I’d started that last week, so I finish that up and start thinking about the CSS portion.)
  • 4:30 pm: I’m home, and I need to handle any urgent work E-mail before 5:00 pm. Once that’s taken care of, I settle into some serious copyediting. I’d like to send a query letter to the authors tomorrow, so I’ll do most of this tonight.
  • 7:45 pm: Tonight’s project is the technology tutorial assignment again. I start looking into more complex macros.
  • 11:00 pm: I hit the hay.


  • 7:00 am: The last day of Library Day in the Life begins, and it’s going to be a relatively relaxed one. Fridays are my shortest day. I get some copyediting work done, have a nice breakfast, and take a few minutes for myself.
  • 10:30 am: My only commitment of the day, other than the publishing stuff, is another shift at Simmons. Today I focus largely on rebackings. It’s a quiet shift.
  • 2:00 pm: I’m back home and put in some more time on the publishing job, finalizing a manuscript for typesetting and handling some E-mail queries.
  • 5:00 pm: I call it a day. It’s been a long week, and if I spend all evening draining myself like I did Monday through Thursday, I’ll go crazy. Tonight is for me; tomorrow and Sunday can be reserved, as much as possible, for working on course readings and assignments. Fin.

So, that’s it! I’m not sure that even I realized how full my schedule was until I started logging everything down to the minute(-ish). I hope that this glimpse into my time has been helpful. We’ll be back to regularly scheduled posts from here on out; I have a few things in the pipeline already.

Leave a Reply